Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Money=Root of All Evil?
I found this question in class yesterday to be a very interesting one. I feel as though many different people contemplate whether or not money is the root of all evil. Most people understand that it is a contribution to the many issues that we have in the world, but is it the central problem? Well, I believe that it is simply a contribution to the problems, rather than the absolute problem. I believe that humans are broken and sinful, and money causes many different problems in this upside-down world. Because of human pride, selfishness, greed, envy and many other issues, we as humans can tend to use money in an evil way. But again, money is not the central problem, only an additional issue in the society today. I feel very sad when I think of all the problems that come from having money or not having money. I wish that things in this world were different, and people were not greedy. I will be the first to admit that I struggle with greed, envy and other frustrations with having money or not having money. So is money the root of all evil? No, I feel that it is only a contribution to the brokenness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you. I don't believe money is the root of all evil, but I do believe that people can become greedy, envious and change their behavior because of money. Obviously, money is what makes the world work, but wealthy people aren't necessarily evil, just like poor people aren't always nice. Money shouldn't be the center of people's lives, but sadly it can easily take priority over other joys of life such as family and friends. ~ Chelsie
ReplyDeleteI agree, but even though money isn't the root of all evil (or our problems), it sure does feel like it sometimes. Being jobless at the moment, I find it hard not to blame money for my own personal failures. Yes, if I had money, I'd be able to do this fun thing or buy that cool item, but if I didn't make excuses for myself, I could get a job, which would in turn make me have money. I think that people not only are "broken" as you say, but also push away our responsibilities, not wanting to admit that we are the ones at fault.
ReplyDeleteExactly. Some people care more about fame or power than money, but often need money to become famous or powerful.
ReplyDelete